In the development of The Smarter Website Owner we carefully examined the characteristics of a successful website owner. We also investigated the common ‘pain points’ that many website owners encounter. Here’s what we found when researching website owner skills.
Three key areas
Website owner skills, knowledge and attitudes clustered in three key areas:
- Leadership and strategic planning
- Web management
- Content creation and content marketing
1. Leadership and strategic planning
As the business owner it is your job to set direction and drive your web strategy forward. Others will help you along the way but you must take an active role.
2. Web management
It pays to have a solid understanding on what’s involved in day-to-day management of a website. Whether you’re doing these tasks yourself or managing others, you will find the job a lot easier once you have the bigger picture.
3. Content creation and content marketing
Content makes the web useful and valuable and the way you work with it will determine your success online. The Smarter Website Owner has a story to tell and customers to inform.
Course topics directly address website owner skill needs
The Smarter Website Owner course is based directly on these findings. We have only included content that is essential to website owner skill development. Topics include:
- Owning a website – what’s involved?
- Setting website goals
- How much does a website cost?
- Choosing web service providers
- Website security and legalities
- Working with web professionals
- Writing a web design brief
- Evaluating website designs
- Creating and organising content for your website